The LAST post! I posted for the last two weeks about the previous day to provide interesting insights on how the team is trying to improve their estimation! See Day 0, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7 and Day 8!
What have you tried that works or doesn’t work?!
Day 9 – The Last Day
The last two weeks have been amazing. I will spend some time later this week reflecting and writing about the overall process. Last Friday was really our last full development day and we were finally in our Beta environment.
All we needed to do on Beta day was some small testing. So we needed to figure out what we wanted to accomplish.
Our goal for the day:
- Take some time to learn a new version control that we are moving towards soon
- Add some more integration tests
- Get a quick POC for an API call to an outside vendor we haven’t used before but plan on using soon
What did we accomplish:
- Added integration tests
- Created a plan for our engineers to get ramped up on the new version control
- Our Sr. Engineer has some experience in this so they are going to spend some time getting back up to speed
- The other two engineers have limited experience and will work with our Sr. to help gain knowledge in the tool
- API call POC – Done!
- After we set our goals, the team came together and pair-programmed a solution to get a call to this API
- This was accomplished within two hours of setting this goal, which was amazing to see!
What did we do well?
- Quick POC and pair programming
- Got exposure to the XML
- Also started to brainstorm questions for more work on the API integration
- Beta testing went well
What can we do better
- Look back at and bring back our production push checklist so we can think less about what we need to do when we push our solution to production.
Overall, it’s been a great nine days of trying something new on the team. I hope anything you’ve read helps you think about ways to improve your team!
(Featured Image Credit: http://changingthegameproject.com/winning-race-right-finish-line/)