Each morning for the next three days, I will post about the previous day and hope to provide some interesting insights on how the team is trying to improve their estimation! See Day 0, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5 and Day 6!
What have you tried that works or doesn’t work?!
Every day this build, the team continues to show progress in thinking about how can we do better, even when it’s unrelated to the process of getting work done! Day 7 highlighted great examples of challenging each other for a better ways to solve problems and a bunch of collaboration between the team to push past issues.
Our goals for the day
- UI Changes
- The past two days, one of our engineers tried multiple solutions to solve this issue with little luck. They were understandably getting frustrated
- Before moving on to discuss other goals, we talked about the process the engineer was taking to test their results, and we found that the engineer was taking a long time to see results, so we dove into their local testing process
- Other engineers challenged the process this engineer was going through! It was awesome to see and the other engineer took the ideas in stride (see results & “what did we accomplish” below)
- Examples of challenges
- Why do you need to run all the services when the solution you are working is only using one service?
- Why do you need to stop the services when you make changes?
- Result: The three software engineers would spend one hour after this meeting going over the issue and thinking about what could be done – rather than the one engineer continue to try other ideas on their own
- Message story bug
- After we had the message solution in our test environment, we discovered a bug that needed to be fixed
- Config switches
- We were waiting on our DBAs to run some scripts and then needed to test those results
- UI Integration fix
- Issue was investigated in Day 6, now we wanted to solve the problem
What did we accomplish?
- Config switches – done
- Message bug – fixed but more testing to be added
- UI integration
- Still working on the issue. We identified that we were missing our credentials file and now we just need to identify the file location
- UI Changes – FIXED!
- This was a great example of team work
- After our goal setting meeting and the challenges towards the engineer who was taking on the work, the three software engineers came together and started to work through the local testing process that one of our engineers had been using for the past couple of days. The engineers identified two things to try that ultimately led to this story being fixed
- One engineer helped demonstrated the waste behind running all the services, when we only needed to run the one that mattered to the solution
- Our Sr. engineer helped point out how we could use Internet Explorer to better test CSS changes
- After trying these ideas out, our engineer was able to solve the issue!
- Code reviews
- One of our engineers added a task for code reviews. This sparked some ideas if we should add these tasks to all of our stories
- Another idea was to add a “tag” to a task to identify if the story was waiting to be code reviewed
- Another idea that came up was adding another column to our Kanban board for code reviews
- We are going to see if we can add a column to the Kanban board and if we can’t, add tags.
- Talking about what went well
- This was a great point mentioned by our BA. We’ve been using retro to just focus on how can we do better, but haven’t been celebrating our wins for the day.
- Moving forward we will celebrate what went well, as well as, identifying what we can improve
- Quick Business User Feedback
- Great example of a fast feedback loop & communication progression
- Our engineer noticed multiple data points that were coming in from different dates. The Engineer and BA talked about if we could just show the one data point or needed to show all of them based on date
- This started as an instant message conversation and moved to a phone call. They recognized that they could get an answer from our end user
- They called the business user to help make the decision
- Once the business user called in, they got a quick answer and were able to finish the solution based on the feedback from our business user
Only a few more days left in our two week build!